Monday, March 27, 2006

beyond raging waves


Two hours west of Karachi, after passing some polluted and downtrodden areas, you will come across the most serene, the most beautiful strip of coastline you have ever seen. Far from the perfection of Bahamas or Bali, these beaches look like unattended perfection- forming a beautiful and uncharcteristic outline to a country subjugated by its poverty, its noise and its pollution. Far from the hustle and bustle of Pakistan's largest city, you will find yourself on a beach near Hawks Bay, just staring off into the sea, aborbing its calmness which seems a million light years away from anything you have breathed in months.

A few weeks later, your friend Natalie will photoshop the picture for you and you'll wonder if you should print it and have it framed.

5 comments:

Anjum said...

why are you still wondering? yes you should have it framed, man! look at those peaceful GQ-esque poses!

Uzi said...

The top two guys happen to be cousins of mine. Although they are distant cousins. But I think I got alogn with them best out of all the people I met out of my age group. The other dude in the picture is a friend of theirs from university. The picture was taken by the most unlikely person, the guy who wanted to be in every shot finally volunteered to take one, and it turned out really nicely.

Anonymous said...

=) I love this photo - stop wondering, and, really, print and frame it, buddy!

p.s. You mentioned Karachi, and beaches, and I was reminded by this photoset on flickr:

http://flickr.com/photos/alikhurshid/sets/995393/

Check it out when you get a chance. It's gorgeous stuff, mashaAllah.

Uzi said...

yaar.. don't even talk about Karachi and photgraphy. I took my camera but all I took pictures of was loads of neices, nephews and faily (mashallah). But seriously, I wnated to go snapping in Karachi man!! But I heard and saw people losing cell phones.. and crappy ones too! how could i take my camera out then? Just at the airport I saw a guy snatch someone's cellphone away.. ridiculous. I didn't take any pictures outside except that second last day on a deserted beach. i'll check the set tho, thanx.

Uzi said...

Wow. that is an amazing collection Yasmeen. Damn, that guy is good.